Ideas for organizing your pantry
Callie’s Hot Little Biscuits
Organize your Pantry with Main Ingredients
If you organize your wardrobe with hangers, then why not organize your Pantry with mason jars.
Did you ever start a recipe and in the middle of making it, you realized you are missing a key spice ingredient? Off you go, back to the grocery store!
To save time and money, I decided to compile a list of ingredients like herbs, spices, nuts, and Superfoods every kitchen must have.
I start by using small and large mason jars and label them. Ball Pint Regular Mouth Jars and Lids BPA Free, 16 oz, Set of 12
What makes a great kitchen is how you budget your meals for the week, how you organize your kitchen cabinet, how you build your shopping lists, and in the long run, you will save money, time and gasoline.
Organize your entire kitchen cabinets, separate your spices, label all the jars and containers, wine racks, utensils etc…make a list of spices you will need for your recipes. No More going back and forth to the grocery because you forgot a spice, nuts or superfood. Life needs to be simple and not complicate! Organize your lifestyle.
*I never leave my kitchen without olive oil, and lemons. Lots of Lemons.
*I never leave my kitchen without Ground Ginger Root, Sumac, Cumin, cardamon, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Cayenne pepper, Saffron, Mustard seeds, Fennel seeds, Nutmeg, and Zartar.
We are happy to receive feedback and/or answer any questions you have. Please allow 1-2 business days for a response. Our office hours are from 9:00 AM-5:00PM Mountain Time.....firstname.lastname@example.org
When you are organized, create a menu, and plan ahead, you eat healthier, plus you save money.
Organize your Pantry for a Happy Healthy Living
A List Of Culinary Herbs and Spices to have in your Pantry
Anise Seeds is what gives Ouzo a distinctive aroma. Great for fish, too.
- Anise Star great with rice, it gives a flavor
- Basil Hippocrates was a Greek physician considered basil to be a heart-healthy herb and also prescribed it for nausea and constipation. My favorite herb, it can relieve gas and soothe stomach upsets.
- Bay Leaf Whole dried leaves are used to flavor soups, stews, tomato sauces, and seafood dishes.
- Black Pepper helps relieve indigestion.
- Cardamon pods Great with rice gives it a flavor. Ancient Greeks and Romans scented their perfumes with cardamon and ancient Egyptians chewed on the seeds to clean their teeth.
- Cayenne can stop a heart attack
- Coriander Seeds (also know as cilantro) the dried seeds are used to casseroles and mixed with olive oil, garlic and lemon, also sprinkled over cracked green olives, fish, and for Hummus
- Cinnamon great for lamb, and breakfast dishes, deserts like Baklava, and it helps lower blood pressure.
- Chives great with potatoes
- Cumin great with potatoes, and hummus. Cumin with water reduces body weight.
- Cloves For centuries, cloves have been chewed to eliminate bad breath and it’s not surprising that some Greeks always have a small bag they carry with them. Great with tomatoes..Anti-microbial.
- Chili Powder Great to make Chili
- Dill Weed The signature taste to TZATZIKI and OMELETTE, and great with fruit. Treat heartburn, colic and gas.
- Fennel it can reduce bad breath and body odor.
- Fenugreek Seeds/Ground Popular in curries and chutneys. Fennugreek has been grown for centuries becaue it was believed to have healing powers. Cooks in India typically roast these seeds before grinding them to impart a sweeter flavor. Helps flush out harmful toxins.
- Ginger an anti-nausea remedy, great to add a tsp in your tea.
- Parsley This antioxidant is loaded with vitamin A, B, C and is widely used in soups, sauces, cheese fillings, eggplant, dips, and smoothies.
- Pomegranate Seed gread for salads when in season.
- Mint Great for tea, known to aid digestion or for the Greek Ztatziki, Moussaka, and keftedes. Also great with fruit, also can ease hiccups.
- Nigella Seeds (Black sesame) The essential oils in the seeds have antimicrobial agents, and can benefit digestion by eliminating parasites.
- Nutmeg Preferably grade it fresh when you need it. It’s use in Moussaka and Pastitsio, potato croquettes, and cakes….
- Oregano (Greek Oregano) is the most fragrant of all the oregano varities and it’s used in Greek salads. Oregano tea has been used to treat indigestion, coughs, and inflammation. Helps soothe stomach muscles.
- Garlic cloves If you use garlic in your recipe make sure you use lemon juice or vinegar, which balances out the flavor. A natural Antiseptic.
- Ginger Great with Squash, Fish. Anti-nausea remedy.
- Marjoram Centuries ago, marjoram was steamed in water and inhaled to clear sinuses and heal Laryngitis. Professional singers brew it as a tea and drink it with honey to keep their vocal cords in pitch and perfect shape. Great with Tomatoes.
- Milk Thistle or Holy Thistle
- Mint is used to make tea, known to aid digestion or for the Greek Ztatziki, moussaka and keftedes. Can ease hiccups
- Oregano great for Greek salads, barbequed or roasted meats, fish, french fries and omelets
- Parsley great for Kebab and fresh fish
- Rosemary for fish, lamb, and potato dish. Scientists find that sniffing rosemary can increase Memory by 75%, anti-oxidant.
- Turmeric is an Anti-cancer.
- Sage Slightly bitter is added to wood burning ovens when baking bread. Hippocrates knew of its antiseptic and antibacterial properties and prescribed it for a number of ailments, including lung disease. Antiseptic and antibiotic.
- Star Anise great to cook with rice
- Saffron Great with rice. Saffron is the most expensive spice in the world. saffron was mentioned as a medical treatment for coughs, colds, stomach ailments, insomnia, uterine bleeding, scarlet fever, heart trouble, and flatulence.
- Thyme is popular in egg, bean, fish, and for veggie dishes. Relaxes respiratory muscles.
Thyme regulates blood pressure, treats a cough and bronchitis, helps the formation of the red blood cells, treats chronic fatigue, asthma, sore throat, laryngitis, fights lupus, fibromyalgia, dizziness, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
Recipe drink with Thyme
A handful of thyme (fresh or dried)
1 cup of water
Wash the thyme and place it in a bowl. Boil the water, and pour it over the thyme. Leave it for a few minutes, and then strain it to eliminate the solid parts. You can add honey to taste to sweeten the drink.
- Turmeric Anti-Cancer
- 7 Spices/Bharata
- Za’atar is a savory, citrusy spice blend
*Mace Spice shaped reddish covering of Nutmeg fruit and is the only plant that produces two unique spices, Myristica fragrans. Mace Spice is used in food and beverages around the world for its delicate flavor and wonderful saffron-like color.
“Stone Age” bread with nuts & seeds
2 cups of nuts ( 1 cup of Almonds, 1 cup Walnuts)
4 cups raw seeds of your choice ( Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, flax seeds or poppy seeds)
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup Olive Oil
5 raw eggs
Mix well, pour the ingredents in a loaf pan with parchment-lined, bake 325 degress for 1 hour.
Be creative, use your taste bud. Pre-make all the nuts in a freezer bag for the next time you make a bread. It is particularly good for cheese, charcuterie, Pâtés, etc. But it is also good with “ordinary” spreads or butter.
Almonds– people who eat about a handful of almonds a day lowers the”bad” LDL cholesterol an average of 4.4%, and nourishes the nervous system.
Pecans– improving eye health
Cashews Lower blood pressure
Pine Nuts Great with salad. Pine nuts contain nutrients that help boost energy, including monounsaturated fat, protein and iron.
Pistachio Good for cholesterol
Hazelnuts Great to make Nutella
Walnuts Prevent heart Disease
Chia Seeds – Mix carob powder, nut butter, honey make into balls roll in chia seeds, and put in freezer.
Cacao Powder Chlorella Powder– improves overall health, fighting obesity, reversing cancer.
Baobab powder-Fruit and leaves of the tree are used medicinally for asthma, mosquito repellent, and for allergic skin conditions.
Sacha inchi Protein Powder
Spirulina – add to smoothies, or take in powder or tablets.
Medjool Dates-Scientists confirmed this is the worlds #1 food for Hypertension, Heart Attack, Stroke and Cholesterol. Dates prevent diarrhea, Dates regulate cholesterol, Dates regulate blood pressure, Dates for anemia, Dates prevent strokes, Dates for heart health, Dates soothes constipation, Dates help wight loss.
Moringa Powder-More Iron than Meat, more Protein than Eggs, more Vitamin C than Oranges.
Moringa Oleifera, I get mine from St. Anthony Monastery in a powder. A tree that has been used in traditional medicine for a long time. Its nutritious leaves are the most popular. Just 1 gram contains 7 times the vitamin C of oranges, 4 times the vitamin A of carrots, 4 times the calcium of cow’s milk, 3 times the potassium of bananas, and 2 times the protein of yogurt, the leaves are also great powdered, 50 Gram added to meals can reduce the rise in blood sugar by 21%, it also contains isothiocyanates. Its a substance that can boost your resistance to cancer. Mix it in your smoothie or your oatmeal and get an extra nutritional boost!
Fresh or Cans
ChickPeas in a can or dried Chickpeas/Organic Garbanzo Beans (To make Hummus)
A Jar of Organic Tahini (To make Hummus or Tahini)
A Large can crushed organic Tomatoes (For Pasta)
Tomato organic Paste (For Pasta or Beans)
Dried Lentil, red, yellow or green
Hazel nut jar
Dried Organic Prunes
Dried Organic mango
Dried organic pineapple
Dried Organic Raisin
Dried Organic Berries (lots of Berries)
Medjool Dates Sincerely Nuts Large Medjool Dates – One (1) Lb. Bag – Rich Flavor – Mouthwatering Freshness – Plump and Moist – Highly Nutritious – Kosher Certified cost for one (1) Bag $10.99
Benefit of Medjool Dates
JUMBO SCRUMPTIOUSNESS: These large medjool dates will cure your sweet tooth with just one delicious bite.
ENERGY RICH: This treat is the perfect pick-me-up snack, harboring enough energy in them to have you springing with life.
HEALTHY FIX: You will utterly love the wholesome offering of potassium, copper, manganese, vitamin B6 and digestion-friendly fiber.
KOSHER CERTIFIED: Sincerely Nuts picks the very best dates to give you quality that’s second to none.
UNMATCHED FRESHNESS: They are perfectly pack every bag to ensure the dates are soft, juicy and full of flavor. Click ‘Add to Cart’ now!
Thyme contains a load of potent properties that help to calm coughs.
To make this take two teaspoons of freshly crushed thyme leaves and place in a cup of boiling water. Now leave it for 10 minutes then strain. Before drinking add a little honey and some lemon juice.
Black Pepper helps to stimulate circulation and the flow of mucus. Take one teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper and two tablespoons of honey and put in a mug. Now fill the cup up with boiling water, then cover. Allow the mixture to steep for 15 minutes, before then straining and sipping.
Ginger has some very strong medicinal powers. Even today those that practice Eastern medicine techniques still use ginger for treating colds and flu. They do this because it contains certain antihistamine and decongestant properties. Take 12 slices of fresh ginger and place in a pan with 3 cups of water. Allow the water to come to a boil then lower the heat and allow the water to simmer for 20 minutes. Now remove from the heat and strain. Then add 1 tablespoon of honey along with some lemon juice to taste.
Dandelion gentle liver cleanser. Dandelion tea contain vitamins A, C and D, and significant amounts of zinc, iron, magnesium and potassium. Rich in vitamins and minerals, the dandelion contains more beta-carotene than carrots per serving.
Rosehip Tea the fruit of the rose plant and are one of the best plant sources of vitamin C, important for the immune system, skin and tissue health and adrenal function.
Green Tea one of the world’s healthiest drinks and contains one of the highest amounts of antioxidants of any tea. Green tea helps with weight loss, decreasing anxiety, and even halting the growth of cancer cells, it can significantly boost memory.
Your brain is 75 percent water. When you become dehydrated, your brain actually shrinks. How do you know your dehydrated? Just ask your body. If you drink some water and pee most of it out soon after, this would be your body’s way of saying it was all topped off. But if you drink a whole lot of water and your body keeps most of it, then your tank was running low…….
Rose water lemonade
Squeeze 2 to 3 Lemons
Blend all of the ingredients with ice cubes. So good!
Green Tea, Matcha has been traditionally used in Japanese tea ceremonies for hundreds of years and has recently gained notoriety for its high antioxidant content.
Peppermint Tea, relieve the symptoms of abdominal gas and bloating, and to relieve muscle spasms.
Chamomile Tea, A gentle calming and sedative tea made from flowers
Ginger Tea, ginger can be used to curb nausea, vomiting or upset stomach due to motion sickness
Lemon balm Tea, lemon balm is helpful for lifting the spirits.
Rosehip Tea, Rosehips are the fruit of the rose plant and are one of the best plant sources of vitamin C
Free Herbal Materia Medica Course by Herbal Academy
Want to study herbs at an affordable price? At $45/year, The Herbarium membership is a great addition or alternative to enrolling in an online program. Sign up and get access to our ever-growing collection of herbal resources including our in-depth Plant Monograph Database.
*copyright© All information contained within this site is for reference purposes only and are not intended to substitute the advice given by a pharmacist, physician, or any other licensed health-care professional.
Any or all the links in herbe.co are affiliate links of which I believe these are great companies which I also receive a small commission from sales of certain itmes, but the price is the same for you. As herbe.co has grown, so have costs associated with running and maintaining it, and affiliate links are a way I help offset these cost.
My goal is to provide you valuable information, resources, recipes, and help you create positive changes in your life.
Macadamia nut oil is for baking.
Toasted sesame oil for stir fry.
Walnut oil (do not cook) use for dressing.
Vegetable oils are left over oils.
Olive oil is one of the healthiest fats on earth.
Avocado oil is similar to olive oil.
Sunflower oil is a good choice for deep-frying.