4 Healthy dark leafy green recipe in Greek it’s called “Horta”
Another simple recipe for the cold and summer nights.
In Cyprus, my mum had a vegetable garden in her backyard with several dark leafy greens “Horta”.
She will cook the Green leafs using Dandelion, Swiss Chard, Kale, and Spinach.
Use your favorite Organic Green Leafs “Horta” Fresh from the Farmers Market.
1) Swiss Chard ( Rich in vitamins A, C, E and K )
2) Kale (vitamin K—essential for bone and blood health, and to reduce the risk of bladder and ovarian cancer)
3) Spinach (Packed with vitamins A, C and K, plus calcium, iron and potassium)
4) Dandelion (Check below information about Dandelion)
4 Healthy Green Leafs Recipe “Horta”
1-Bunch Organic Swiss Chard
1-Bunch Organic Kale
1-Bunch Organic Spinach
1-Bunch Organic Dandelion – especially the younger shorter ones are less bitter
Extra Virgin Olive oil
Salt to taste
2 garlic cloves
1. Wash well and rinse the green leafs, and Cut all the green leaves in bite size pieces,and the garlic cloves. If your using the kale with thick stems tear the leaves off the stems and discard stems.
2. In a large pot, add water, bring to a boil and add greens and the garlic cloves. Cover. Boil until stems and leaves are soft depending upon which greens you use. Check after 10 minutes by tasting to see if greens are tender and continue up to 20 minutes. Add more water if needed. discard most of the water when done, (or you can keep the water from the green leaves for making tea) then add the juice of 2 lemons with the extra virgin olive oil according to your taste, salt and pepper. Let sit for a few minutes in warm pot with flame turned off. Serve on plate or in a bowl. Bon Apétit!
This makes 4 to 5 servings. Make extra since it tastes delicious for the next day. It can be serve as a main dish or as a salad dish. I personally serve it as a main dish with a crusty whole wheat bread or toasted pita bread.
11 reasons why you should use Dandelion in your salad, tea, and smoothie 1.High in Calcium 2.Rich in Iron 3.Loaded with Antioxidants 4.Low Calories ( I cup of Dandelion greens has 25% calories) 5.Detox and Cleanse the liver 6.Lots of Minerals ( iron, potassium, and Zinc) 7.In Europe, dandelion leafs are used in remedies for fever, 8.boils, eye problems, dieabete, and diarrhea 9.Stomach problems 10.Appendicitis 11.Breast Problems
Recent studies done in Windsor University in Canada discovered that the dandelion root might be particularly efficient in healing and or even preventing cancer, much more than the immune system-destroying chemotherapy. Particularly, as mentioned by the university in the press release, the researchers are extremely confident that they have discovered the proper dosage of extract for effective cancer treatment. They are planning clinical trials using a specifically developed dandelion tea. ~Lifehack.org